Today’s world demands professionals that are skilled with a high degree of technological proficiency.
For this reason, St. Mary’s Academy’s technology program endeavors to provide a wide range of technological tools and experiences that will enable students to become fully prepared to:
- Succeed in today’s information-based economy by using technology to access, create and transform information (information literacy)
- Become self directed lifelong learners
- Explore and discern information to become critical thinkers
- Become independent technology users
It is our belief that in order to develop good technology skills, our students must be given the education and the responsibility to manage their technology tools.
SMA is committed to providing the leadership and service to improve teaching and learning by advancing the effective use of technology in education!
- Campus Wireless Network
- 1:1 Laptop Student Ratio
- Teachers, Students and Parents use Edline to communicate and share resources online
- SMARTBOARDS used in classrooms at every grade level
- Compass Learning, a comprehensive online learning system, is used to enhance performance in all academic subject areas.
- Synchroneyes is used to manage computers in the classroom, give online test, share desktop resources, and collaborate with peers.
- United Streaming is used by teachers to access instructional videos and lesson planning resources
- Ebsco is an online database provided through the Louisiana State Department of education.A� It provides online access to research resources for teachers and students
- Starfall.com, kerpoof, andA� Professor Garfield are online learning resources designed especially for elementary and middle school students to practice skills
- Apple Works, KidPix & Hyperstudio are used at the elementary level to enhance word processing, illustration, presentation skills,A� writing projects and creativity.
- iMovie & Cannon Software are used at the elementary levelA� to enhance oral presentation, promote creativity, and enhance digital media skills
- Gradequick is used by teachers as a management tool for grade books, lesson planning, and attendance for managing student performance.
Acceptable Use Policy
SMA declares unethical and unacceptable behavior as just cause for taking disciplinary action, revoking information network access privileges, and/or initiating legal action for any activity through which an individual:
- Uses the information networks for illegal, inappropriate, or obscene purposes, or in support of such activities.
Illegal activities shall be defined as those which violate local, state, and/or federal laws.
Inappropriate use shall be defined as a violation of the intended use of the network, and/or purpose and goal.
Obscene activities shall be defined as a violation of generally accepted social standards for use of publicly owned and operated communication vehicle;
- Uses the information networks for any illegal activity, including violation of copyrights or other contracts,A�A�violating such matters as institutional or third party copyright, license agreements and other contracts;
- Intentionally disrupts information network traffic or crashes the network and connected systems;
- Degrades or disrupts equipment or system performance;
- Uses SMA computing resources for commercial or financial gain or fraud;
- Steals data, equipment or intellectual property;
- Gains unauthorized access to the files of others or vandalizes the data of files of another user;
- Gains or seeks to gain unauthorized access to resources or entities;
- Forges electronic mail messages, or uses an account owned by another user;
- Invades the privacy of individuals;
- Posts anonymous messages; or
- Possesses any data which might be considered a violation of these rules in paper, magnetic (disk), or any otherA�form.
- Using the network for entertainment purposes such as games, chat rooms, or music unless instructed to do so byA�a teacher for educational purposes.
For more information, contact:
Natasha Harris, Technology Director
1-504-245-0200 Ext. 117